I’ve been following an interesting development the past couple months and now it has been made public (at COMMON) so I thought I’d make sure everyone knew about it. The product is “AO Foundation” (AO = Adsero Optima) and is meant to aid in modernizing your DB to be built on SQL. I haven’t yet had a chance to use the product but it looks very intriguing. Below is the official press release from TEMBO Technology Lab:
TEMBO Technology Lab (Pty) Ltd is honored to announce the availability of their AO Foundation product that facilitates upgrading and migrating all ISAM (record level access – DDS) databases to the native SQE (SQL) engine without the use of surrogates, any LVLID changes or any recompilation of programs.
Anaheim, California –(May 6, 2012)– TEMBO Technology Lab, a specialist applications modernization technology development house in the IBM i platform space, today announced the availability of AO Foundation, a product that facilitates and automates the migration of all legacy (ISAM or DDS) databases to the latest DDL (SQL/SQE) implementation of DB2 on IBM i.
SQL (DDL) the foundation of all modernization
Should the IBM modernization roadmap and all the announcements since approximately 2000 be closely analyzed, it is clear that the SQL database engine is a fundamental consideration for modernization. Until this announcement, migrating to the SQL engine has been either labor intensive, or at least problematic. This is caused by either the use of surrogates, or the requirement to recompile your programs.
The requirement to truly modernize our rich heritage (the so-called “legacy” which made companies hugely successful), demands that users migrate to the SQL engine, to truly leverage the applications and the platform, and to use the SQL engine as foundation for all modernization.
For a short Videoclip, detailing the roadmap, visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7u-2MxU8F0
The benefits from following this modernization roadmap:
Immediate, low risk, non-disruptive exploitation of the native SQL database engine.
* Solid foundation for future modernization projects.
* Your database now presents itself as modern to the outside world and your end users.
* AO Foundation removes the tedium and error-prone repetition out of upgrading to the SQL (SQE) engine, allowing you to focus on value adding aspects of application modernization.
* No “vendor lock-in” – we deliver your database back completely under your control.
* No LVLID changes during Phase 1 (initial DDS to DDL migration) of database upgrade process, hence no recompilation of ANY code.
* Massive potential performance benefits
* FULL, native IBM i based management of your ISAM and SQL database(s) on DB2 for i.
* Gradual, non-disruptive, low-risk roadmap
* Unshackled applications, unlocking the full value of your IT investments
* Gradual sanitizing of metadata, structural metadata and database
* Multi-Tier architecture
Visit Adsero Optima: www.adsero-optima.com
Soli Deo Gloria!